Have you been paying attention to the news lately? Here are some things you might have missed (and some you hopefully didn’t)…
1. Fans voted and the cat will now replace the iron game piece in Monopoly. Now, I’m a big fan of cats, but come on! The iron piece is a classic! Luckily, you’ll be able to purchase a special edition of the game that has all of the pieces, old and new. (I know you were worried…)
2. Valentine’s Day is long gone, but you can still get these awesome Undead Teds (read: zombie teddy bears) from an illustrator in England. Give me zombie bears over fluffy bears any day of the week.
3. Colin Kaepernick (the quarterback who didn’t win the Superbowl) got a new tattoo. On his chest. That outlines his, um, boobs.
4. This article about face tattoos happened. It’s not so much about the topic of the article, but about the author. I have a confession: I read CNN. All. The. Time. And granted, he authors the “Apparently This Matters” column, so you know it’s going to be something off the beaten path, and possibly more interesting, than a typical CNN article, but still. He’s pretty hysterical and definitely a recommended read.
5. Wine. Ice cream. Wine ice cream. It’s a thing. Do I really need to say more?
6. A Carnival cruise ship caught on fire and basically broke down in the middle of the ocean (good times!). Passengers were stuck on the ship for an extra 4 days with little electricity, long lines for food and sewage seeping down walls and soaking carpets. I don’t know about you, but after hearing about that incident, I’m pretty OK with never taking a cruise (like, ever).
7. The Pope
quit is retiring! The Philly Post did an interesting Q & A with a Vatican chronicler (a what?) to get some insight into the event. Yes, event. Because the last time a Pope left office while he was still alive was in 1415.
8. Sparknotes version: Chelsea Welch was a waitress at Applebee’s. “Was” being the key word there… She got fired after posting a picture of a customer’s receipt (below) on Reddit.
There’s a lot more to the story, so I suggest reading Chelsea’s Guardian article. Know this- if you go to a restaurant and don’t tip your server or are rude to them… YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE. No ifs, ands or buts about it. (End rant.) Chelsea, not that it really means anything, but I would hire you if I could!
9. Caroline is an 11 year old who just wants to play football (and apparently is just as good or better than her male teammates). Unfortunately, the Catholic football league that she played for has a “boys only” rule. Rude. Her parents started a petition to let Caroline play and it already has over 100,00 signatures. Sign it! Go Caroline! (Brought to you by females everywhere.)
10. Help Utley (the dog) get knee surgery!!! He’s SO CUTE! (And I might have a slight affinity for animals…) His owner is trying to raise $8,000 to be able to get this adorable pup back to dog park glory. You can donate to the fund here. (Do it!)
11. The very same day that a large asteroid passed by Earth, a meteor blast injured a bunch of people in Russia. I may be a super nerd at heart, but you can’t tell me that isn’t at least mildly interesting, especially since it’s about as common as seeing a car on the Schuylkill River trail… (Apologies to those of you outside of Philadelphia who may not realize how uncommon that actually is.)
12. Someone is making a “high-tech replica” of the Titanic! Titanic II is being made in China (instead of England) and apparently fans of Titanic (the movie) will pay upwards of a million dollars for a ticket to ride on the new vessel… And also I’m apparently the only person who thinks making an exact replica of a ship that tragically sank in the middle of the ocean after hitting a giant iceberg is a bad idea…
Lucky 13. Last, but certainly not least… There’s a Tamagotchi app (for Android only, sorry fellow iPhone users!) that is just exactly what you need to bring you back to the good ol’ days. You’re welcome.