This past weekend, we had a family-style pot luck dinner at my part-time job. The dinner theme was potatoes. I wanted to stick with a simple recipe since I’ve been short on time lately and am trying to conserve my energy for the coming weeks when my schedule will be even crazier. I settled on sweet potato cupcakes. This is a one bowl recipe (!) and was SUPER simple to make. You don’t even need an electric mixer! They took me about an hour from start to finish, including cooling and frosting. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of them, per usual. I will get better at this some day!
Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe from Picky Palate)
makes about 24 mini cupcakes or 12 regular-sized cupcakes
3/4 c flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c sweet potato puree *can usually be found near pumpkin puree in your grocery store
3/4 c buttermilk *I used skim milk
For the frosting:
4 tbsp cream cheese, softened
4 tbsp butter, softened
3 c powdered sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line muffin tin with paper liners. I used foil standalone mini-liners.
2. In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, sweet potato puree, egg and milk. Mix until well combined, about 10 to 15 seconds with a large spoon. Batter will be soupy.
3. Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full with batter.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes for regular-sized cupcakes, about 10 minutes for mini cupcakes. Cool completely before frosting.
1. Beat butter and cream cheese until creamy and smooth.
2. Add powdered sugar in 1 c increments.
3. Stir in cinnamon.
4. Frost as desired.
These cupcakes were a huge hit at the dinner!