Last Fall I got all the ingredients to make these and then, much to my dismay, never ended up making them. So to say this recipe was a long time coming is a bit of an understatement… Don’t worry, I didn’t use those same ingredients…
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Truffles (recipe from Gimme Some Oven)
makes about 20 medium-sized truffles
1/3 c pumpkin puree
1 1/2 c gingersnap crumbs, plus a few extra tbsps for topping *I put Trader Joe’s gingersnap cookies in a food processor
3 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
4 oz. cream cheese
1 c white chocolate chips, melted
For the coating:
14 oz. white chocolate chips
1 tbsp vegetable oil *can also use shortening
1. Combine ingredients (except the coating) in a food processor. Pulse until well-blended. I have a very tiny food processor, so I used an electric mixer to combine ingredients.
2. Transfer the mixture into a small bowl and freeze for 30-60 minutes, or until the mixture is fairly hardened.
3. Once hardened, shape filling mixture into small balls using a spoon and your hands.
4. Set filling balls on a plate or baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.
5. Place plate back into the freezer and freeze for 2 hours, or until filling balls are solid.
1. Once the filling balls are frozen, stir together white chocolate and vegetable oil and melt either in the microwave or double boiler, stir constantly. *I used a makeshift double boiler.
2. Use a small fork or a spoon to dunk filling ball into coating mixture, then transfer ball to a new plate lined with fresh wax or parchment paper. Sprinkle top with extra gingersnap crumbs. Repeat for all filling balls. Gimme Some Oven tip: Remove the ball from the fork with a spoon, and then use the spoon to swoop the chocolate over the top if a spot of filling is showing. I tried using both a fork and a spoon to dunk the filling balls in the chocolate. I couldn’t get the technique down, but I think I did okay for my first time!
Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 week.
These are pretty sweet, so you can’t eat a lot in one sitting, but that just means that there’s a better chance you’ll be able to enjoy them for longer!