I did a lot of baking this weekend! This is a recipe my mom got in her 8th grade home economics class that found its way into a family cookbook that she gave me a few years back.
makes 1 loaf
2 c flour
1 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 c orange juice, any brand
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg, well beaten
2 c fresh cranberries, chopped *I used a food processor
1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease a loaf pan very well. I sprayed my pan with PAM for baking.
2. Measure all dry ingredients through a sieve into a large mixing bowl. Stir ingredients and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the egg, oil and orange juice.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry, all at once. Stir just to moisten.
5. Fold cranberries into batter.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Mom’s Note: If you want to make 2 loaves, it’s better to mix the batter separately. Better the second day.
This is a holiday staple in our house and is a great pre-Thanksgiving meal morning snack!