I have had the worst dessert cravings lately! So when a craving hit me last night, I scoured the apartment for something that would satisfy it and ended up getting pretty creative!
My roommate and I completely overbought s’mores ingredients last Summer. So much so that we still have a couple bags of marshmallows and about a box and a half of graham crackers. While s’mores are traditionally a Summer campfire dessert, I decided to make a couple for Tall Guy and I last night and they turned out so great! S’mores are a perfect portion controlled dessert, for those of you who, like me, are trying to eat less junk. Why have I never tried to do this before?
1 graham cracker, split in half1 jumbo marshmallow (or 2 small ones)
chocolate chips, chunks or a piece of a Hershey’s bar *I used chocolate chips because they were all I had
1. Turn your oven broiler on.
2. Put graham crackers on a small cookie sheet, brownie pan or oven safe plate. I used a brownie pan.
3. Top one of the graham cracker halves with chocolate and then marshmallow.
4. Place under broiler for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Keep an eye on it as the marshmallows and untouched graham cracker half will burn quickly.
5. Remove from broiler and cover immediately (using tin foil, pan cover, etc.). Let sit for 5 minutes, or until chocolate melts.
6. Put the untouched graham cracker half on top of the marshmallow, smush and enjoy!
I’m sure there are a lot of different ways to melt the chocolate and soften the marshmallow. You could try microwaving the marshmallow for about 10 seconds before constructing the s’more or maybe throwing everything in the oven for a minute or two before you stick it under the broiler. Whatever you do, make sure you put the marshmallow under the broiler at some point, because that gives it the scorched, campfire taste and feel. No campfire necessary!