I can’t even tell you guys how many times I got butter out to soften and put in a recipe and then never made the recipe. It feels like forever since I’ve made anything! Thankfully, Mother’s Day gave me a perfect opportunity to get back into baking.
I wasn’t able to go home to see my mom, but Tall Guy and I did see his mom for a little bit. Tall Guy got her flowers and a card, of course, and I didn’t want to just piggyback onto his gift, so I decided to bake her something instead.
Lemon Blackberry Buckle (recipe adapted from Baking Bites)
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 c sugar
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 c butter (cold), cut into pieces
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice (fresh squeezed if you can)
1/2 c milk
12 or 16 oz blackberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a square baking pan (8 or 9 inch pan preferred).
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and lemon zest. Add butter and rub into mixture until mixture is sandy and butter pieces are all incorporated.
3. Set aside 1/2 c of the mixture.4. Add egg, vanilla, lemon juice and milk to the bowl. Stir to combine.
5. Fold in the blackberries.
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature.
His mom took the buckle home with her, so I didn’t get to try it, but she brought it to her office and I heard everyone loved it!
Did you bake anything for your mom yesterday? Share it with me in the comments!