I’m a big fan of mozzarella, tomato and basil individually, but put them all together and I basically can’t get enough.
One of the best parts about these ingredients is they’re so versatile. You can chop them, slice them, dice them, whatever- and they still make a kickass salad.
Mozzarella, Tomato & Basil Stacked Salad
Buffalo-style mozzarella cheese
1 or 2 whole tomatoes, washed and dried
3-5 large basil leaves
1. Slice mozzarella and tomatoes, about 1/4″ thick.
2. Stack: tomato, basil leaf, mozzarella, basil leaf. Repeat.
3. Top with a half slice of tomato. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.
I made these for Tall Guy and I to accompany chicken we were grilling. It was a great little side salad and super easy to make! Perfect to whip up for a small group.
Mozzarella, Tomato & Basil Skewers
Buffalo-style mozzarella cheese, cut into cubes
Cherry tomatoes, washed, dried and cut in half
Balsamic vinegar, optionalSkewers or extra-long toothpicks
1. Put tomato, basil leaves (if large, use 1 leaf folded in half, if small use 2 or more, depending on preference) and mozzarella cubes on skewers or long toothpicks. If using skewers, repeat order until skewer is covered.
2. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, if desired.
I used some long “olive” toothpicks that I’ve had forever. They were a good size for just 1 of each item. Since I didn’t have a ton of toothpicks, I served them on a plate with extra ingredients so people could use their toothpick to get seconds. I chose to serve them without any dressing, which I think works fine for this dish. These ingredients go so well together, you don’t really need anything on them! Definitely would recommend this dish for a BBQ or larger Summer gathering. Easy to make and perfect as an appetizer or side dish!