Pumpkin baking- round 2!
I wanted something relatively easy to throw together last Sunday night and, since I still only have the one small baking sheet, this was the perfect recipe. And the batter was so good that I couldn’t resist licking the spoon!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake Bars (recipe originally from Two Peas & Their Pod)
2 c flour
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
1 c butter, room temperature
1 1/4 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c pumpkin puree
12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9×13″ baking pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice and baking soda. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until smooth.
4. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
5. Add pumpkin puree. Mixture will look curdled. (That’s normal!)
6. On low speed, mix in dry ingredients until just combined.
7. Fold in chocolate chips.
8. Spread batter in prepared pan. (Try to make it as even as you can.)
9. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until edges pull away from sides of pan and it passes the toothpick test.
10. When cooled completely, cut into squares and serve.
These were so yummy! They’re moist, which was not quite what I expected (something about calling them “bars” makes me think they’ll be more like a cookie), and the reason I added “cake” to the name. They’re perfectly pumpkin-y, and just sweet enough with the chocolate chips being a perfect compliment to the pumpkin flavor. Ok, I’m a little pumpkin crazy right now, I know… But please don’t let that stop you from making these bars!